Monday, March 29, 2010

Artifact 7

On the Death of a Young Gentleman

Who taught thee conflict with the pow'rs of night,
To vanquish satan in the fields of light?
Who strung thy feeble arms with might unknown,
How great thy conquest, and how bright thy crown!
War with each princedom, throne, and pow'r is o'er,
The scene is ended to return no more.
O could my muse thy seat on high behold,
How deckt with laurel, how enrich'd with gold!
O could she hear what praise thine harp employs,

How sweet thine anthems, how divine thy joys!
What heav'nly grandeur should exalt her strain!
What holy raptures in her numbers reign!
To sooth the troubles of the mind to peace,
To still the tumult of life's tossing seas,
To ease the anguish of the parents heart,
What shall my sympathizing verse impart?
Where is the balm to heal so deep a wound?
Where shall a sov'reign remedy be found?
Look, gracious Spirit, from thine heav'nly bow'r,

And thy full joys into their bosoms pour;
The raging tempest of their grief control,
And spread the dawn of glory through the soul,
To eye the path the saint departed trod,
And trace him to the bosom of his God.

Phillis Wheatley


http://www.poemhunter.com/poerm/on-the-death-of-a-young-gentlemen/

8 comments:

  1. You are truly a talented poet. I think that our societies have both influenced our work. It seems like you describe your feelings and observations about growing up on a plantation and living during the times of slavery in the south. My work was influenced by neoclassical, baroque, and Louis XIV's style of architecture. That is something I noticed we have in common.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't mention other artists during your time and I would like to know, what did you think of of other artists during your time? Thomas Jefferson was an architect during my time as well as president of the United States. I think he was very skillful and talented in his work. Did you know any artists from where you come from? I knew other architects from my education in architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because you were a slave, that would be a social aspect that would impact you in your work. I would say that most of my work was influenced by political aspects because the style of Louis XIV was very influential in France during our era. When were you first recgonized for your talent in poetry?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a wonderful poet. Your pieces show the struggles and triumphs we all face. Your work is very deeply moving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was very interesting for you to be thankful to be a slave. Didnt you want freedom.I really cant say much because I myself never was in that place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did myself,I do not give my father any praise for what he did to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for you nice comment, Phyllis. I guess the political aspect that influenced a lot of my work was the style of Louis XIV, because he was king of France. The economic aspect would probally be the cost of the materials because during the Revolutionary era not everybody thrived like Louis XIV. I did know other architects, but I don't know if that would really be a social aspect influencing my work because the style of Louis XIV and the neoclassical style of architecture was what was popular, so that influenced my work. How were economic aspects during the Revolutionary era in your society as a slave?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to overcome the beatings from my dad.I had to overcome his drinking and blaming it on me because he thought I was a failer.That was my main pain in life.

    ReplyDelete